One of the prettiest of flowers, lily of the valley symbolises the second wedding anniversary. It is a decorative feature on a variety of gifts. It is ideal for those who do not wish to purchase something made of cotton. Its sweet scent fragrances the woodlands of Asia and Europe during May and June. Lily of the valley represents abundance, innocence and purity. Although usually white, it is possible to find a pink variety.
Should you wish to display these delicate flowers, do not place them near your fruit bowl, as I soon discovered! The fruit emits ethylene gas, which leads to leaf yellowing and causes flowers or petals to drop within 12 hours. Plus, you should be aware that these flowers are poisonous. The water in the vase requires careful disposal.
Lily of the Valley Facts
- The plants’ origins are biblical. There is a legend which says that when Eve had to leave the Garden of Eden, the tears she cried, bloomed into lily of the valley flowers.
- It brings luck in love. The number one reason as to why bridal bouquets include the flower, to bring good luck to newly-weds.
- It’s native to multiple continents. Lily of the valley plants prefer to grow in temperate forests, such as those found in Asia, North America and Europe
- It holds major significance around the world. It has been Finland’s national flower since 1967 and was the emblem of the now-dissolved country of Yugoslavia. France actually celebrates a Lily of the Valley Day annually on May 1st.
- It actually belongs to the asparagus family. Despite its name, and the fact that it is poisonous, the lily of the valley actually belongs to the asparagus family.
Lily Bosschaert Bouquet and Candle
It is difficult to incorporate lily of the valley into a bouquet, as they are so small and delicate, so I have chosen a gorgeous flower display containing a single Oriental Lily. This bouquet is particularly unusual as it is based on a painting, “A Still Life of Flowers” by the renowned Belgian artist Ambrosius Bosschaert. His paintings were scientifically accurate and this one can be found in the National Gallery.
Adding their delicious fragrance to this beautiful bouquet are a variety of luxurious flowers. To complete this gift, a high-quality candle is included in an attractive box, depicting the original painting. The candle is scented with the essences of white jasmine, tuberose, magnolia, orange flower and vanilla. Optional extras can be added including a cute teddy bear, a clear vase or even a jar of Love Hearts sweets! This gorgeous gift is available for next day delivery. Please note that the exact flowers may be varied according to seasonality.
Lily Cross Stitch Cushion Kit
For those who are celebrating their second anniversary, and enjoy the creative things in life, then this cross stitch kit would be an ideal and unusual gift. It is from the renowned manufacturers of craft kits, Collection D’Art. I recently completed a yellow rose tapestry cushion cover from them, and the colours were outstanding. This kit contains a printed canvas measuring 40cm x 40cm, all the necessary yarn, a needle and full instructions. Please note, it doesn’t include the cushion pad itself.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
I hope you enjoyed this review and if you have any questions about these lilies of the valley earrings, the perfume, cross stitch kit or bouquet, or want to leave your own personal review, leave a comment below.
Take a look at my sales page for recommended products at the best price!